Thursday, October 23, 2008

See where IPs are located with Visual Route

I've taken some time to study the incoming IP addresses that are logged on our router to see who's using ports 40784, 50225 and 23827. One tool that's fun to use is VisualRoute which places the IP trace points on a map of the world. Below are some examples from the site's Live Demo.


Keep in mind these screenshots are from the demo that's run in Java so the actual program looks different. I chose to show these screenies because I am using the free version which doesn't show data on the world map. However, this software gives the user great ways to display the data.

There are 5 versions of this software including a free version which I use.

Honestly I rarely use this software because there are other traceroutes out there and the only appeal this one has for me is the cool mapping of the planet. It makes me look like one of those geeks in the movies that have some super software to trace an IP to a doorstep of a person and show a satellite picture of the kids playing in the backyard.

No comments: