Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Virtual Network Connections improve my responce time.

In my 'shop" there are at least 20 computers including laptops and 5 servers. Everyone where I work has their own office with actual doors and being able to get to their computer faster helps keep downtime low. Ultra VNC helps me do just that.

Once I install Ultra VNC on all the machines I can connect to a person's computer within 10 seconds. In some cases I can have a solution in place within the time I could have walked to their desk. This is critical in my workplace especially when I get the "feast" of multiple issues in a short period of time.

What I prefer VNC over Remote Desktop is that I can interact with the current session the user is in. If I want I can enter a session in View Only mode so that my mouse movements doesn't interact with theirs. This is very helpful when a person is telling me they have a recurring issue with a specific software. I can watch what they are doing and see for myself when those errors happen.

My favorite feature is the AutoSize option.  Many people here have 20" widescreen monitors and Ultra VNC does a nice job of shrinking those screens into whatever monitor size I have.

I get phone calls often throughout the day and I can log into a person's computer while they are explaining the problem. I

I use Ultra VNC because it's free. It's fast and easy. If you are able to get this implemented in your network I recommend it.

No comments: