Friday, October 17, 2008

Tag team your VNC with mRemote

I know this was covered a week ago on another blog but since I discovered it it has become the blood in my IT network.

mRemote is a full-featured, open source, multi-tab remote connections manager. It allows you to store all your remote connections in a simple yet powerful interface.

Currently these protocols are supported:


Here's a HUGE list of features.

  • Free and Open Source, relist of connections
  • Inheritance makes it possible to store properties on folder basis and let the underlying connections inherit this info
  • Support for importing connections from Active Directory
  • Allows creating nested containers (folders) to categorize connections
  • "Quick Connect" feature to quickly open a connection without creating an entry
  • "Quick Search" feature to quickly find a connection while typing
  • Support for SCP/SFTP (SSH) file
  • leased under the GPL
  • Panels and tabs allow to group certain connections together, dock them to any side of the window or completely undock them and move them to another screen for example
  • Multiple supported protocols (RDP, VNC, ICA, SSH, Telnet, RAW, Rlogin and HTTP/S)
  • Easy to organize and maintain
  • transfers
  • Assign icons to connections to easily identify purpose
  • Screenshot manager allows to collect multiple screenshots and save them all together or copy them to the clipboard
  • View remote session info and log off sessions (RDP)
  • Portable
  • Auto-Reconnect feature
  • "Auto-Update" feature
  • SQL Server support
  • Show description tooltips when hoovering over connections
  • System tray icon with connection menu
  • Fullscreen (Kiosk) mode
  • Assign global credentials to use when no information is provided on connection basis
  • Host Up/Down (Ping) feature shows if the selected host answers to a ping

I have mine set up with folders containing connections to all my servers, printers, routers and WiFi points. I also have folders for what I call Active VNC connections where all the connections are set to interact with the end user. Another folder, called View Only, contains VNC connections set to View only so I can't mess someone up with my mouse while I watch them work. Yet another folder for the classic Remote Desktop Connections.


Once everything is all set up I can connect to remote computers so fast it's like I've been working at that computer all day. And having multiple connections open in the same window is so much better than having a bunch of open windows cluttering up my taskbar.

Even while writing this post I was visited by a coworker who was suddenly missing the shared group calendars in his Outlook. While he was standing there explaining the situation to me I was able to log into his computer and fix the problem within 30 seconds. It would have taken much longer to do this if I had gone to his desk at the other end of the building.

I recommend this free (for now) software to anyone who has to manage multiple computers. I say, "free (for now)", because the author is considering taking the open source program to commercial due to it's popularity. Get it for free while you can.

No comments: